Home Building Advisory Council Appointments
4 July 2012 The Hon Anthony Roberts MP - Minister for Fair Trading
Mr Roberts said 39 applications were received from the community and industry. Former Advisory Council members were also invited to reapply.
“Council members bring a wealth of professional and technical expertise to the table,” he said.
During their term, the Home Building Advisory Council will consider some key aspects of the NSW Government’s review of home building legislation including: progress payment
schedules and termination clause requirements for residential building contracts; refining existing statutory warranties; and restricting phoenix activity in the residential building sector.
Members of the Home Building Advisory Council:
• Greg McCarthy (Chair) is the Chair of the Home Warranty Insurance Scheme Board and a home building industry consultant with extensive insurance industry experience.
• Penny Le Couteur is the Deputy Chair, Home Warranty Insurance Scheme Board with extensive experience in the insurance industry.
• David Bare is the Executive Director, NSW Region, Housing Industry Association.
• Anthony Cahill is a solicitor, author, commentator and teacher specialising in property law matters.
• Joseph Cato is a chartered professional engineer, experienced builder and property developer.
• Spiros Dassakis is the Chief Executive Officer and Secretary, Swimming Pool and Spa Association of NSW.
• Douglas Eaton is a solicitor specialising in property law and the proprietor of a building material supply business.
• William (Peter) Meredith is the Director - Housing, Master Builders Association of NSW.
• Mark Morey is the Deputy Assistant Secretary, Unions NSW (construction industry portfolio).
• Vicki Mullen is a representative of the Insurance Council of Australia with experience in legal and public policy development.
• The Nghiep (Andrew) Nguyen is an experienced building consultant, builder, project and construction manager, certifier and expert witness.
• Philip Sim is the Managing Director, Australian Building Services Home Owners Warranty Pty Ltd, as well as a builder, building consultant, arbitrator and mediator.
• William Stavrinos is an experienced engineer and building contractor.
• John Sutton is a former national construction union leader with experience in construction policy.
• Mark Williamson is an experienced builder, building consultant, arbitrator and mediator.
• John Worthington is an experienced builder and building consultant.
The term of appointment of all members commenced on 25 May 2012 and expires on 30 June 2013.